It doesn’t take thousands of dollars or multiple days to do it. In fact, in one day, you can gather the items necessary to ride a storm and the impact it can leave for many days after. If finances become a challenge, consider purchasing only a few of these items at a time during the off-season months.
- 3-day supply of water (one gallon per person, per day)
- 3-day supply of non-perishable food
- At least one change of clothes
- First-aid kit
- Battery-powered portable radio
- Flashlight, with extra batteries
- Extra battery packs for mobile devices
- Credit card AND cash
- Prescription and non-prescription medication
- Sleeping bag, blanket and/or pillow
- Emergency contact list (on paper)
- Special items for infants, elderly or disabled family members
FEMA has created a printable list, or you can use this story to come up with your own.